Monday, August 30, 2010

Chalkboard for the Entry

Each week my house starts to come together a little bit more.  I am almost finished with our entry way and will reveal all the pictures of it soon.
I had an old painting that I picked up at a garage sale in my parents basement that had a really big frame. I tore off the exterior of the frame that was covered in some fabric because it came out from the wall strangely (sorry no picture since I was so happy to rip that part off). You will see the canvas that I rescued from the frame in another post.

I had some leftover 1/4" birch plywood from one of the many projects I've recently made. I just cut a piece to fit in the back of the frame where the canvas had been. I painted the board and sanded and painted with chalkboard spray paint but didn't get a great result. I think the fine grain of the wood was still too much.
I painted the frame out in a pale blue and distressed it very lightly.
You can see the how the grain shows after chalk gets in it. It looks worse in the picture than it does in person. It actually gives it an old rustic look.

1 comment:

  1. It looks great! Chalk boards are so fun! Hi, I'm Meme from Sxcreaming Meme...I saw you over @ Pink & Polka Dot...Love her! I wanted to personally invite you over to my blog...It is a design blog all about slipcovers, DIYs, and my Interior Design work...Hope to see you there! Meme

    ReplyDelete